Sunday, November 18, 2012

Charlotte and Chickens (a conversation)

Yesterday, I had the great pleasure of helping Charlotte care for 5 friendly Laramie chickens while their owners were away.  As you can imagine, Charlotte did not particularly mind doing this!  In case you've never dealt with chickens before, I'll briefly summarize the conversation.  


Chicken (death stare): "Hey!  Human overlords!  It's nearly 9 in the morning!  Why haven't I been fed yet?!?"


Charlotte (cheerful as usual): "Hold your horses!  We're working on it!  You have plenty of food left anyway."


Chicken (death stare softens): "True.  Well, I'm kind of stupid, so I didn't know what else to say.  I'm just going to go fluff around in the dirt for a bit, and see if I can make a huge mess."


Chicken (casually): "I guess I'll go lay an egg now."


There you go-it's that simple.  Multiply that routine by 5 hens, and that's how you get 5 yummy eggs a day!  Charlotte and I are very eager to have our own flock, but in the meantime, we enjoyed our day in the life (and our free eggs-mmm!).  

No comments:

Post a Comment