Friday, July 2, 2010

Fieldwork and Fungi Episode

Though the bulk of this blog is full of fun adventures, Mike and I also do in fact work, too. As many of you know, I, Charlotte, am currently in school at the University of New Hampshire pursuing my masters in Natural Resources/Conservation Genetics/Landscape Ecology-ish things. I finished up my first year in June and am continuing to work through the summer doing field work, lab work, data-logging, journal-reading, proposal-writing, etc... My research, in a nutshell, aims to characterize the effect of habitat fragmentation on the genetic structure of wood frog populations. I will also attempt to determine if environmental factors (like water quality or hydroperiod) may be a causing populations to become more or less structured genetically.

This installment of the blog will show you some of the field work portion of my work. I have been going out into the field every other week this summer, since the last week of May, to collect water quality and hydroperiod data from the 70 vernal pools that I am studying across the southeastern part of New Hampshire. Of those pools, about half to three-quarters of the pools are located in developed areas, including areas fragmented by roads, developments, or other suburban infrastructure. The other half of the pools occur in several clusters throughout Pawtuckaway State Park, where there is little to no development, and where the landscape is relatively continuous in nature. My hydroperiod measurements that I am recording are simply a function of how long it takes for these vernal pools to dry out over the course of the summer. The hydrology of these pools is still somewhat unpredictable to me and it always proves interesting to see the changes that occur week to week.

I always enjoy the change of scenery on my field weeks and this week of field work (last week) was especially enjoyable as a result of the nice weather and cool breeze that accompanied it.


My field equipment: backpack full of water sampling equipment (bottles, labels, markers, filter pump, and filters), headnet, sunscreen, bug repellent, yadda yadda; YSI meter measuring pH, conductivity, dissolved oxygen, and temperature; field notebook and maps, and GPS.


One of my 70 pools in Pawtuckaway. This one is beginning to dry out, as you can see from sphagnum moss drooping over the log, when it used to be floating on top of the water. Though you can not see it in the picture, there were tadpoles swimming wildly in the pools of water left. All the same, it probably has some weeks left to go and so the hike to it will continue for some more weeks yet.


This pond (below) on the other hand looks to be on its way out, and will surely be gone within the next two weeks, especially due to the extreme dry heat we've been having here lately, with temperatures in the upper 90s to 100s..


In addition to my field work, hiking in Pawtuckaway offers some time to enjoy the nature around me. In addition to the wildflowers in the spring, the trees, and birdsongs, my attention has become increasingly focused on the fungi (and associated decomposers) of the forest floor. I'm just continuously astounded by the variety of shapes, sizes, and colors. Of the many field guides I own, I have yet to acquire a mushroom guide. I think I know my next purchase!


Hope everyone is well and taking time to enjoy this beautiful time of the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment